Author Topic: Add: Farewell my Joy and Heart

dmcg

Posted - 07 Mar 04 - 04:30 pm

Farewell my joy and heart,
Since you and I must part,
You're the fairest that e'er I did see,
It's down in Cupid's chains
Where we used to remain
And in tears I will spend the whole day.

Source: A Dorset Book of Folk Songs, EFDSS, 1958

Notes:

Collected from Mrs Russell, Bere Regis, by the Hammonds between 1905 and 1908.
Mrs Marina Russell contributed 71 songs to the Hammonds' Dorset collection, though many of them are fragmentary.

Edited By dmcg - 07-Mar-2004 04:32:57 PM

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 08 Mar 04 - 10:15 am

Mrs Russell's total was actually 100 pieces.

Lucy Broadwood included a similar fragment in English County Songs (1893, 104) which A J Hipkins had noted in Middlesex, probably in the 1880s. It appears to be from The Winter it is Past (nowadays best known as The Curragh of Kildare, which was quite widely printed on broadsides and so on, and appeared in most Scottish song collections from Oswald's Caledonian Pocket Companion (1759) and Johnson's Scots Musical Museum (II, 208, no. 200, 1788) onward. Beside examples found in oral currency in Scotland and Southern England, Joyce and Petrie both print Irish sets of the mid-19th century (Old Irish Folk Music and Songs 1909, 238-239 and Stanford-Petrie, I, 1902 111, no. 439, without words: text and tune in Moffat, Minstrelsy of Ireland, 1897, 250-251) and Karpeles one from Newfoundland (Folk Songs from Newfoundland, 1971, 182-3) together with a broadside text from David Herd's MSS.

Christie (Traditional Ballad Airs, 1876, I, 114-115) prints a set collated from two Banffshire versions, and remarks "...the hero of the Ballad was Johnston, a highwayman, who was hung in the middle of the last century for the many robberies he committed on the Curragh of Kildare." Christie had read an account in "a volume of Irish traditions" in 1855, but was unable to re-locate the book to confirm his recollection of the anecdote. The song has appeared occasionally as Young Johns[t]on.

Roud 583. There are a number of broadside examples at  Bodleian Library Broadside Ballads:

Cold winter [it is past]

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z