We marched them forth, inveterate,
To stop a bold invasion.
Farewell, my royal spouse, once more,
And offspring great, whom I adore!
And may you that great throne restore,
That is away, without delay!
Those kings of me have made a prey,
And caused my lamentation.

Source: Jones, Lewis, 1998,Miss Broadwood's Delight,Ferret Publ., Sutton Coldfield

Notes:

This song is taken from Lewis Jones' publication "Miss Broadwood's Delight", obtainable from Ferret Publications. For further details see their web site.

This book contains the songs originally published by Lucy Broadwood in English Traditional Songs and Carols in 1908 by Boosey and Co.

No source singer or date of collection is given for this song in the Ferret publication.

Database entry is here.

Edited By dmcg - 05/05/2003 11:57:30

dmcg

Posted - 05 May 03 - 12:20 pm

An aside: I bought both the Ferret booklets as a result of some comments from Malcolm in another thread. They are absurdly cheap. If I put the entire booklet on the site - which I won't! - I doubt if you could print them off more cheaply than buying the booklet. Although they are not a very 'polished' production, being essentially folded A3 sheets rather than a 'proper' book, if it is the songs themselves you are after, you could hardly do better.

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 05 May 03 - 07:56 pm

Lucy Broadwood got this one from Henry Burstow of Horsham in 1893. He sang "Bello" and "Grand traverse too"; "Beaulieu" and "Grand treasures too" are Miss Broadwood's guesses at the original terms. When the song appeared in The Journal of the Folk Song Society (vol.I issue 4 1902) she guessed at "reverses" for "traverse". The song also appeared in English Traditional Songs and Carols (1908), from whence it is quoted in the Ferret publication. Actually, Mr Burstow is credited as source in the introduction to the latter; it was one of a number of songs he learned from his father.

Mr Burstow knew some 420 songs by his own account, some 50-60 being of the sort that folk song collectors were interested in. The rest were popular songs of the day. Other songs noted from him include As I Was A-Walking and The Servant of Rosemary Lane (tune only).

dmcg

Posted - 05 May 03 - 09:00 pm

I stand corrected about the lack of a reference: I'll have to read it more closely next time! It is in the Ferret publication as follows:

Added to the 18 songs itemised above are another 20 songs from Sussex. .. No 31 is ... number 15 ... The other 18 songs were all collected from Henry Burstow.

... followed by a lot of background information about Mr Burstow.

Edited By dmcg - 05/05/2003 21:23:05

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z