Author Topic: Add: Clear the Track

dmcg

Posted - 09 Apr 11 - 07:52 am

Oh, the smartest clipper you can find
(Ah ho, Way-oh, are you most done)
Is the Marget Evans of the Blue Cross line
(So clear the track, let the Bullgine run)
Tibby Hey ri-ga jig in a jaunting car
With Lizer Lee all on your knee
(So clear the track, let the Bull-gine run)

Oh, the Marget Evans of the Blue Cross line
She's never a day behind her time
(So clear the track, let the Bullgine run)
Tibby Hey ri-ga jig in a jaunting car
With Lizer Lee all on your knee
(So clear the track, let the Bull-gine run)

Source:
Singing Together, BBC Broadcasts to Schools, Autumn Term, 1958

Notes:

dzethmayr

Posted - 13 Jul 11 - 05:43 am

From a different source I read "a-hee, a-ho are you most done," and I plan to perform it this way. Another difference I think I remember is (on "let the bull-gine run") so-so-mi-la-la instead of mi-mi-la-la-la. I am unsure which to prefer. Performance and memorability are paramount for me, and this is the key memory tag passage for an audience.  If my aging memory still serves aright, my earlier source seems stronger, as including both minor dominant and minor tonic on the strong beats. An appealing feature of this chanty is the easy alternation between major and relative minor, like much Russian music. I'll welcome any reply.

Danger Dave

Jon Freeman

Posted - 13 Jul 11 - 12:29 pm

If my aging memory still serves aright, my earlier source seems stronger, as including both minor dominant and minor tonic on the strong beats.

I think which version one prefers can be rather subjective but I think Singing Together's versions of songs main sort of focus would have been on suitability and ease of singing for school children so perhaps do (as well as being "cautious" with lyrics) opt for simpler versions in terms of melodies?

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z