Author Topic: Add: The Drowned Lover

Jon Freeman

Posted - 29 Sep 02 - 11:57 am

The Drowned Lover

As I was a-walking down by the sea-shore,
Where the winds whistled high, and the waters did roar,
Where the winds whistled high, and the waves raged around.
I heard a fair maid make a pittiful sound,
Crying, O! my love is drowned!
My love must I deplore!
And I never, O! never
Shall see my love more!

I never a nobler, a truer did see
A lion in courage, but gentler to me,
An eye like an eagle, a heart like a dove,
And the song tht he sang me was ever of love.
Now I cry, O! my love is drowned!
My love must I deplore!
And I never, O! never
Shall see my love more!

He is sunk in the waters, there he lies asleep.
I will plunge there as well as I kiss his cold feet.
I will kiss the white lips, once coral like red,
And die at his side, for my true love is dead.
Crying, O! my love is drowned!
My love must I deplore!
And I never, O! never
Shall see my love more"

Source: Songs Of The West, S Baring Gould

Notes:

Baring Gould notes:
Taken down from James Parsons. This is a very early song. It first appears as "Captain Digby's Farewell," in the "Roxburgh Ballads," iv. p. 393, printed in 1671.
In Playford's Choice Ayres," 1676, i. p. 10, it was set to music by Mr Robert Smith. Then it came to be applied to the death of the Earl of Sandwich, after the action in Sole By, 1673.
black letter balld, dte circ 1676, is headed, "To the tune of the Earl Of Sandwich's Farewell." The originl ong consisted of three stanzas only; it became gradually enlrged nd omewhat altered, and finally Sam Cowell composed burlesque on it, which hs served more or less to corrupt the current versions of the old song, printed be Catnach, Hrkness, and others.

The black letter ballad of 1673 begins-

"One morning I walked by nyself on the shoar
When the Tempest did cry nd the Waves they did roar.
Yet the music of the Winds and the Waters was drownd
By the pitiful cry , and the sorroful soound,
Oh! Ah! Ah! A! my Love' dead.
There is not a bell
But a Triton's shell,
To ring, to ring, to ring my Love's knell."

"Colonel Digby's Lament," 1671, begins-

"I'll go to my Love, where he lies in the Deep,
ny in my Embrace, my dearest shll sleep.
When we wke, the kind Dolphins together shall throng,
And in chariots of shells shall draw us along.
Ah Ah! My Love is dead.
There was not bell, but a Triton's shell,
To ring, to ring out his knell."

A second version of the melody, but slightly varied from tht we give, was sent to us by Mr H. Whitefeld of Plymouth, as sung by his fther. Our air is entirely different from that given by Playford, and is probably the older melody, which was not displaced by the compositions of Mr. R. Smith. The song is sung to the same melody, but slightly varied, in Ireland.

X:1
T:The Drowned Lover
B:Songs Of The West, S Baring Gould
S:Taken down from James Prsons
F:/songs
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:Bb
F2|B2d2c2|B2F2D2|F2G2(FE)|D4D D|(E3G) A B|c2c2B2|A2A2G2|F4A B|c2c2c2|f2=e2d2|c2c2B2|A4A2|B2c2B2|B3F F2|G B3G2|F4G A|B3F D F|B,4Bc|d2(cB) G B|F4G A|B F3D2|E e3d2|c3B A2|B6|]
w:As I was a-wal-king down by the sea_shore, Where the winds_ whis-tled high, and the wa-ters did roar, Where the winds whis-tled high, and the waves raged a-round. I heard a fair maid make a pit-ti-ful sound, Cry-ing, O! my love is drowned! My_ love must_ I de-plore! And I ne-ver, O! ne-ver Shall see my love more!

Added to database here

Edited By Jon Freeman - 9/29/2002 12:00:16 PM

masato sakurai

Posted - 08 Feb 03 - 04:00 pm

According to G. Malcolm Laws, Jr. (American Balladry from British Broadsides, p. 149), "this lament ['The Drowned Lover'] is apparently the ancestor of 'Scarboro Sand' [Laws K 18]."

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 08 Feb 03 - 09:38 pm

Roud 185 Laws K18

Scarboro Sand[s] is a misnomer, really, as the song has been found under that name in America only; and not often. In England and Scotland it has appeared as Scarborough Banks and In Scarborough Town, but is also known as Stow Brow; and most commonly as The Drowned Lover[s]. The song's history is fairly tortuous, and by no means everyone accepts Baring Gould's linkage of it to Captain Digby. According to Frank Purslow (The Wanton Seed, EFDS, 1968, p.127) it spawned a Music Hall parody at one point which involved wiggle-waggling shrimps, parts of which have re-appeared in some traditional sets.

Two sets were printed in The Journal of the Folk Song Society (vol. III issue 13, 1909 pp 258-260). Frank Kidson considered the song to relate to a real incident at Robin Hood's Bay (Stowbrow is a hill overlooking it) in Yorkshire; there is a broadside set in the Madden collection called Robin Hood's Bay, but it seems that Kidson was unaware of it. He gave an example in his Traditional Tunes (1891, p.112), calling it The Drowned Sailor; the opening line is "On Stow Brow, on Stow Brow, a maiden did dwell"

In the same Journal article, Lucy Broadwood added, à propos a set (not quoted) noted in Whitby in 1907: "The singer told [Mrs. Macartney] that the song describes a real event, recorded on a tombstone in the old disused churchyard at Robin Hood's Bay, which is close to Whitby. The inscription is now almost illegible".

Steve Gardham of the Traditional Song Forum is doing some work on it, including checking gravestones, apparently; it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

There are a number of broadside editions at Bodleian Library Broadside Ballads, falling into two distinct groups:

The lover's lament for her sailor

Stow Brow

Jon Freeman

Posted - 09 Feb 03 - 12:54 am

Fancy updating the notes, Malcolm? I can do the Roud/Laws updates easily enough but at times really am not sure how to precis what is here and I don't really want to compt Masato's post then yours...

Sorry, that's what you get for having an ignorant on folksong me trying to add to the SongDB.

Jon

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 09 Feb 03 - 02:22 am

This is a particularly confusing song by anybody's standards!

Edited By Malcolm Douglas - 09/02/2003 02:26:03

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z